Extensive Family Law Experience
Our accredited family law specialist, Marlene Ebejer, and our other lawyer, Megan Aylett, have extensive experience dealing with all family law matters. They are aware of the sensitive situations that people face when involved in a family law matter and each of them always employ discretion and courtesy when assisting clients. Our aim is to ensure the emotional and financial burden of family law disputes are minimised as much as possible.
Why would you consider instructing a family lawyer to assist you? Do you go to a baker when you have a sore tooth? Do you get a hairdresser to fix your car? The answers should be no. Our lawyers are qualified and experienced in family law, that is what they do on a daily basis.
We offer legal support to families that are experiencing difficulties in resolving their financial and/or child custody issues. We have a strong commitment to child focused outcomes and to ensuring that you receive a fair and reasonable property settlement.
Our lawyers assist families in accessing quality family dispute resolution services and can make referrals to agencies that can assist in strengthening families after separation. We draft parenting plans and parenting orders to effectively deal with child custody issues (today we refer to these as parenting matters).
In relation to property, we focus on negotiated outcomes with court proceedings as a last resort. We understand financial resources are limited and provide advice to minimise the cost and stress that comes with these matters. We provide advice on consent orders and binding financial agreements. We can represent you in mediations, arbitration and court hearings when required.
Starting a new relationship and want to protect your assets? Talk to us about binding financial agreements (BFAs) that can be entered into before you commence living together/get married, during your relationship/marriage or after separation and divorce. You may know them as “pre-nups”.
Make a Family Law enquiry
Let us know some of the details about your family law issue and one of our team members will contact you.
Family law issues that we can assist you with:
- Children: custody (with whom a child lives), contact (with whom a child spends time with), child support, change of name, passport applications, relocation, recovery, international child abduction, information and location orders (when you do not know where your child is).
- Marlene has significant experience in dealing with international child abduction cases to country’s that do not have agreements with Australia to return children. These are called non-Hague convention countries.
- Marlene is often appointed as an Independent Children’s Lawyer and can guide you to understand what is in the best interests of a child when dealing with their parents’ separation.
- Divorce: A divorce is a separate action to resolving and settling property matters.
- Property settlement:
- division of property (focusing on achieving the best outcome so you are best placed to commence your new future)
- spousal maintenance (we have experience in dealing with applications for spousal maintenance and arguing against an order being made)
- property transfers – where you may own a property jointly with someone and having it transferred into one name.
- superannuation splits – where an order is made for a superannuation split or you enter into a binding financial agreement to share your superannuation with the person you are separating from.
- Same-sex disputes over children and/or property.
- Family violence (Intervention Orders) – Family Violence is an issue our lawyers understand. If you are experiencing family violence or have been accused of perpetrating family violence we can assist. More information about Intervention Orders can be found here.
How we can resolve your family law matters:
Our lawyers work with you to explore a range of options to resolve your dispute. Resolution can be achieved through negotiation, mediation, arbitration or litigation.
- Negotiation: work with the other party to reach an agreement.
- Mediation: we support you through the mediation process whether that be for children or property issues or spousal maintenance. We can refer you to specialised services and we can represent you during the process.
- Drafting agreements by consent including: Parenting Plans, Court Orders and binding financial agreements (BFAs “pre-nups”).
- Court representation including advice, drafting of all court documents and orders, and appearing on your behalf.
YOUR FREE FAMILY LAW PATHWAY AWAITS